Verse Of The Week: No power in the sky above or in the earth below- indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us fron the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord ~Romans 8:39

I'm A Contestant

Photobucket

Search This Blog

Social Butterfly

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Follow by Email

Blog Button" />

Lovely Readers

Reader Favorites

28.1.11

Do You Ever Have This Problem???


Both of my kids are growing sooooo fast!!! They have recently out grown their pajamas.
 Since I have plenty of fabric and the time I decided to make them myself instead of buying them. 
Dakota's were real simple. He likes to wear his t-shirts to bed so I made him some pajama pants. 

He was thrilled!!!  He still thanks me (over a month later) for making them for him. 

Now for Aiyanna I wanted something girly. So I bought a pattern she liked. Grabbed some cute fabric from my stash and got busy.  Since I got started after they were asleep and I hadn't measured her since her most recent growth spurt I guessed at the size. I thought about waking her up and measuring her for about half a second. Bad idea! She is one of those kids you don't wake up, even from a nap. So then I thought she wears a size 3 in her clothing so it should be the same for the pattern. Logical right?
 BIG MISTAKE!!!!!

They are huge on her! Not just a little bit big, or room to grow big, but like 2 sizes to big.
 Well, I guess to big is better than to small, but it is still irritating.  Really I'm frustrated with myself because I know better than to just go by the size.  ALWAYS go by measurements.
Lesson learned!  Be patient and get measurements first.

7 comments:

Lettie said...

I've run into the same problem with my kids...and the opposite problem with myself! I hate looking at the size number given that matches my measurements. For the kids I usually just hold up some or their current clothes to the pattern to see how off the sizes might be.

Beth @ Sand To Pearl said...

I love pj pants. My son actually wears them all day (he's 1, and that's all he really wants to wear, it's not worth the fight)

The Paxton Family said...

I agree with Lettie! I do the same thing! Very cute fabric though :-)

craftedbymama said...

They are very cute though! I hope you only made her 1 pair?

Seams Inspired said...

With three growing kids, I've run into that problem...and I have a solution! :o)

Add a casing instead of a hem at the pants bottom and sleeve cuff. Pull some elastic through, and voila! The kids can grow into those extra-long pants and shirt sleeves.

For future sewing...make a point to keep your kids current measurements in a little notebook. When you go pattern shopping, you can refer to their measurements to determine the sizing you need.

PS...Too long is ALWAYS better than too short. ;o)

Seamingly Smitten said...

At least they will fit one day and weren't too small. I made my daughter pj's recently and after 2 weeks the top was too tight in the arms after a few runs through the washer and dryer. :)

Charlene said...

Ha-ha - I can only laugh because I've done the same exact thing, except guessed too small! And, that's frustrating - to have put love and time into something that doesn't fit now and won't ever. :) At least she'll grow...